I love ♥ Power-Cuts

Whenever there is a power cut I expect my Facebook friends to update statuses expressing their displeasure. One would ask CEB (Ceylon Electricity Board) to go to hell, someone else would curse the incumbent government, the president, minister or ministry of power supply.

I used to enjoy power cuts a lot when I was small. Whenever there was a power cut, me and my two older brothers, surrounded by mom and dad get all cuddly in the bed. It was a small bed, I cant imagine how all five of us made space to be on it. My father who is a born story teller would take out one of his untold tales. He would somehow connect the story to his late grandfather. I seriously thought that those stories are real. We would play Ataka-Nataka on my mom's palm. (A game played with fingers and a palm) It was great to to have candle-lit family dinner. I loved the power cuts so much that I would purposefully disconnect the power from the main-switch, so when power comes nobody get to know. Someone would fart and mom send each, one by one, out of the room to find the culprit. Most of the time I get caught, even though I never meant to and sometimes I didn't do so. :D Those are some cherish-able picture perfect memories that I will remember.


Power-cuts used to be an occasion for a family time. Now we have computers with 24x7 Internet. Satellite or IPTV with an array of unchoosable entertainment options. If the PC goes off, some may continue chatting on their handheld device. :) Some are into video games, iPods. I cant imagine what would I be doing if I didn't have the internet or TV.  There is nothing wrong in doing any of those but out lives are too much entwined around those electronics. In other words we are addicted and dependent. Some people get mad (anger that is real) at their slow computer, which has no emotions, which has valid reasons to be slow. Anger, frustration, disappointment is self destructive and stupid, it can cause cancer I hear.

Of course, power-cut is a nightmare for students who are in the middle of their exams. And its good to check out the home security during power cuts. Check whether its a general power-cut or its caused by the messy wiring in your circuit. Government is planning to have compulsory power cuts with their inability to generate power, mainly due to the lack of rain which runs the hydro power plants in the North.  Government says that the CEB is making huge loss giving electricity at a lower rate. They say that as if they are doing a huge favor to us. It is true that consumers play a huge role in energy saving, but the government must reduce the ridiculously huge expenditure on useless fancy projects. Obvious frauds within the government, pickpocketing coppers must be at least reduced.

I take power cuts as a blessing. (I should suggest my family to have a weekly power cut, Friday would be a good day, at least for one or two hours) I would make it an occasion to look at the mysterious night-sky, which is almost spooky. It has been there for billions of years but I never took time to look at it. So that's how I grew an interest for astronomy and astrology. :) Most importantly, during the power cuts the environment is at its best. There are no loud voices. No boisterous forced-to-listen loudspeaker chantings. Suddenly the natural sounds of crickets, night birds, trees swaying in the wind emerges creating a serene environment perfect for meditation.

Looks like I'm not the only one who got philosophic about power-cuts, Here are some fun things to do during power "failures" that other bloggers have pointed out.
http://www.stmgrts.org.uk/archives/2011/11/boom_boom_out_goes_the_lights.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Power-Outage-Bearable 
http://sashas.hubpages.com/hub/top-10-fun-things-to-do-during-a-power-outage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

File "stdin", line 1 — invalid syntax error in Visual Studio Code

A Perspective of Sri Lankan Bus Conductors

ChatGPT wrote a poem about Ajahn Brahm