Shit Happens! Says the Arsehole.

The thought " Shit Happens, Says the Arsehole " struck my mind while listening to Ajahn Brahm. He didn't say the exact phrase but I thought It would be catchy and cool to make a saying :) Ajahn Brahm teaches people to be happy. Its simply simple as that. He doesn't not define boundaries/explicit rules express or absolute truths that causes guilt, shame and suffering but teaches a way of life that brings harmony, peacefulness, happiness and kindness. It doesn't matter you are in love with Jesus (one should indeed continue loving Jesus), God(s) or Allah, all can come in and experience Buddhism. Buddhism is not a religion where people are forced to do this and refrain from doing that out of fear of god's wrath. That's why Buddhism is growing and surviving the modernization. 


Back to the saying "Shit Happens, Says the Arsehole" . Shit never really happens. We label happenings as shit, bad, terrible or crappy. Things are the way they are. But somehow build a negative relationship with those happenings and end up being unhappy. So the "shit" is actually no shit but the relationship we buildup with the relationship that is unskillful. How can we judge "shit" as really "shit" -- Sometimes "shit" could lead to awesomeness, "shit" can lead us to awesome people, "shit" might have prevented us from a road accident, "shit" fortifies us with experience, "shit" might even lead you to your love of life :) Life is suppose to be filled with difficulties, that is an absolute truth. It is a folly to keep whining, complaining, criticizing, getting angry/sad about the nature of life.

I get to travel in the jam-packed 120 buses almost every week day. I used to embrace the common view that "bus traveling sucks". So as long as I get in to the bus with "this sucks" attitude, I suffered a lot. Bus commuting is not that bad. Its true, my legs hurt sometimes, have to be vigilant of my possessions, have to wonder whether bus conductor give my balance or not or the driver will hear the bell or not but I can always be happy that its not going to last forever. I'm very fortunate to be able to go to work from home. I will be going home in the end.
Legs hurt because legs are suppose to hurt! There is a anatomical, biological explanation to that. Its gravity working on your legs, nothing more than that. Our body is reminding that leg muscles are really working, which is a good thing. 

If you do not get seats be happy that someone else (who is not wise enough to realize that bus traveling is fun) is being happy being seated. If you have a seat, offer the seat to someone else and see how happy it will make you. That happiness will be there with you till you die, it actually goes beyond that.

If we organize our stuff correctly there is no space for pit-pocketing and stealing. I put my purse and phone in my bag it self, I know where they are all-times and I don't have to worry. Don't put your money in the pockets also, you will have to worry whether money will jump out or coins will fall embarrassingly when you bend over.  
If the bus doesn't stop, I walk back. Walking is healthy specially for me who sits in front of the computer for long times. 
I collect coins so that I can pay the exact bus fare. I'm probably popular among conductor community, they should give me an award. :D If you don't get your balance be happy, bus conductors are very poor people. 

I sometimes read books, but some people get headaches reading on the go. I listen to music too. I sometimes go to imaginary places like nice looking houses or serene environments. Some-days I try to objectively analyze the "problems" I have and find solutions. I not sure whether this adheres to the "Be Present" practice. But its better than worrying, whining and complaining. One can make loving-kindness to people on the bus as well. 

I personally know people who choose to go on foot since they cant afford to do so. Feel fortunate that you can at-least pay for the bus. In summary don't feel guilty for traveling in buses.

Worrying and whining are for pansies! Some people express their displease publicly as if it is a good thing to do. My post sounds very positive thinkish but its a feeling that I learned and acquired, its a feeling that makes me happy and content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

File "stdin", line 1 — invalid syntax error in Visual Studio Code

ChatGPT wrote a poem about Ajahn Brahm

A Perspective of Sri Lankan Bus Conductors